Chicken Wisdom

My husband tossed the idea around for years before we got them, and I was never really sure it was a good idea.  But since I am the ever-supportive wife, a few years ago our back yard became home to a flock of chickens.  I grew up in suburbia and am now a chicken farmer.  I have to admit, though, they have really grown on me.  I pet them and thank them for a job well done when I go to collect the eggs.  I occasionally pick one up and carry it around like a small pet dog.  They really are nice animals to have around and don't require a whole lot of effort to raise.  And the fresh eggs are marvelous.

As I've gotten to know my chickens and they have become a part of our family, I am constantly reminded of how much we humans have learned from the chicken.  I like to call it "Chicken Wisdom."
  • "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."  This is a lesson that I can't seem to learn completely, but I keep trying.
  • Sometimes you gotta "rule the roost."  And sometimes you gotta just step back and let someone else be in charge.
  • In almost every situation there can be "too many roosters, and not enough hens." And when those roosters start strutting their stuff just a little too much, just ignore them and get back to what you know you do well.
  • In life, there is a "pecking order."  It's hardly ever a good thing to be at the bottom of that order.
  • Being "cooped up" for too long can make anyone a little crazy.  Anyone who lives in MN during the long, cold winters can attest to that.
  • I'll never know "what came first: the chicken or the egg," but I know that God put one of them on this earth.
  • It's okay to 'ruffle feathers' a little along the way, as long as you keep it friendly and don't draw blood.
Do you have some Chicken Wisdom to share?

Comments

  1. LOVE your chicken wisdom!! Also LOVE your eggs:) Thanks so much!

    Until recently we also had scrapbooking stuff in every closet/room of the house...had to make room for the baby, so it's all in the garage:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weddings and Marriage

Haiku

Diary of a Scrapaholic