'Twas the Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas at Himmerick Farm,
Where the 4-foot snow drifts had lost their charm.
The chickens were nestled all snug in their coop,
Though Brent really needed to clean out their poop.

Inside the kids were fighting and screaming,
And I was soooo wishing I was just dreaming.
The decorations were up, the lights sparkly and bright,
But I couldn't wait 'til the kids were in bed, tucked in tight.

When out in the driveway a great noise started then.
Oh, it was just Brent plowing with the 4-wheeler again.
I wondered to myself, would it ever stop snowing?
The 16-foot pole barn was now barely showing!

As I thought about all the presents yet to wrap,
I couldn't believe how much I had spent for the crap;
All the toys, gift cards, books and clothes I had bought.
My gall bladder began to act up at the thought.

The cookies were baked, though I'd eaten most anyway.
I feared I'd never get the house cleaned before Christmas Day.
As I worried whether we'd have enough food,
It was just one more thing that was dampening my mood.

Then as I looked out on the new fallen snow,
I noticed a star and watched it twinkle and glow.
At that moment I realized that all of the fuss,
Was not what this holiday should mean to us.

As I tucked in my children and gave each a kiss,
I told a story to remind them what Christmas really is.
Christ came into this world on this glorious day,
Sent from the Heavenly Father to take sin away.

So when the holidays get messy and your head starts to ache,
Remember what's important, for goodness sake.
It's about God and family, so forget about the rest.
Merry Christmas to all.  May your days be most blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weddings and Marriage

Haiku

Diary of a Scrapaholic